Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

Day Forty, Forty One, Forty Two: The Weekend plus one

Dear David,

I had a square of dark chocolate on Friday night, I cracked. Otherwise I was pretty good. I went into Glasgow on Saturday and had some lunch in Sartis - smoked salmon to start and then baked trout. Utterly delicious. I then shopped in Cos and yes, Space NK again. I went to the White Company too and had a bit of a splurge in there. Met Marydoll and headed back from Glasgow.

Sunday was the day of the first run and it was rather disasterous. I walked round Strathclyde Park, the long way and got about 4km under my belt before my sister, a seasoned runner, and I attempted to run the last 1km. Unfortunately, just as we got the running under way, she said 'Is your bum hugging your back too?' I creased over laughing and the running went downhill from there. I managed about 15 minutes and not all together either. So much for my heart rate monitor. I was too busy trying not to lose a lung to even look at it. Purple and shamed faced I made my way back to the car where my 64 year old father had beaten us both. Disgraceful!

It was the first run though and I am going to keep going. I hammered Mabel tonight. 30 minutes, top resistance setting and sweated blood. I think half the battle of running is looking like an ejit when you are starting and are generally a bit crap at it so I can do a lot more of it at home and be mortified in private.

Made pancakes tonight and it was a living hell. Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday and it's traditional to have pancakes so I decided to make some for my colleagues. I could have actually eaten the batter. I didn't make the French-style crepes but went for the more traditional Scottish dropped scone. They are more like American pancakes but well, they are Scottish.

I have the best recipe from The Glasgow Cookery Bookand have decided to share it with you. I also have another family recipe for a thicker, more substantial pancake. I could have actually shed a tear after I made them. When I am trying to be good, I make shortbread as I hate it and don't feel the need to eat it but pancakes, oh pancakes........

Glasgow Cookery Book -Dropped Scones

Ingredients

200g Plain Flour
1 level teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
2 level teaspoons of Cream of Tartar
1 teaspoon of salt
25g Sugar
1 desert spoonful of golden syrup
1 large egg
1/4 litre of milk

Method

1. Sieve and then combine all the dry ingredients
2. Add egg, syrup and enough mik to give a thick batter consistency
3. Drop mixture in spoonfuls, on to a fairly hot gridle
4. Cook until lightly browned, turn, brown second side
5. Cool in a tea towel


Alicia's Pancakes -Dropped Scones

Ingredients


1/2lb Plain Flour
1 level teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
2 level teaspoons of Cream of Tartar
2oz Sugar
2 large egg
Knob of butter
1/4 litre of milk

Method

1. Sieve and then combine all the dry ingredients
2. Add eggs and enough mik to give a thick batter consistency
3. Drop mixture in spoonfuls, on to a fairly hot girdle
4. Cook until lightly browned, turn, brown second side
5. Cool in a tea towel

Saturday

Food: protein shake (Mocha), almonds mid-morning, smoked salmon, baked trout and veg for lunch, almonds for late-afternoon snack, protein shake (Vanilla)

Supplements: Thermobubbles, Vitamin Superjuice (Lemon), Flush and Cleanse, Hoodia

Exercise: 30 minutes of cardio on Mabel

Sunday

Food: protein shake (Mocha), almonds mid-morning, protein shake (Vanilla) for lunch, almonds for late-afternoon snack, Tuna and roasted vegetables for dinner

Supplements: Thermobubbles, Vitamin Superjuice (Lemon), Flush and Cleanse, Hoodia

Exercise: 4km walk and then an attempt at running

Monday

Food: protein shake (Vanilla), almonds mid-morning, Tuna steak and roasted veg for lunch, almonds for late-afternoon snack, protein shake (Vanilla)

Supplements: Thermobubbles, Vitamin Superjuice (Lemon), Flush and Cleanse, Hoodia

Exercise: 30 mins of cardio - Mabel

Kikicee

No comments:

Post a Comment