Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Day Forty Four, Five and Six: Lurgy

Dear David,

Yes, I succumbed to the flu. It was proper lady flu and not that half-assed male variety. I have not had flu for a long time and it was rather a shock to the system. What was more of a shock to the system was being in my pyjamas at midday watching Quantum Leap. Scott Bakula, how I love you! I had the most incredible crush on him in my younger years and I realised quite quickly that it had not abated. He giveth and he taketh away.

I made myself go to bed and nap but it was rather under duress as I really can’t stand being in my bed after I have got up in the morning. I find it slovenly and I feel like I should be doing something more productive. To counter this, I listened to a lot of chakra meditation and hypnosis sessions, which sent me off to sleep, and made me think I was actually doing something a little more active than lying in bed.

I still had a temperature on Thursday but had work to do and worked from my sick bed, with Scott as company. I had a long standing arrangement to go to a soiree at Vivienne Westwood so wrapped up warm and braved the elements. The Vivienne Westwood shop in Princes Square has some of the nicest and funkiest staff you are ever likely to meet. I got an invite to Gender Bender Bingo (!) and met a rather celebrated transvestite. The evening was in aid of the Company club to support the Scottish Ballet. Champers and canapés, French Connection next door serving up lethal cocktails, and not one drop or morsel passed my lips.

Slipped away to Space.NK for a little fix and came away with the most beautiful perfume, Acqua di Parma Mandorlo Di Sicilia. It’s simply heavenly and I smell like something I would like to be eating. ‘A shake’, you cry! No, a macaroon. Yum.

My resolve is still steadfast and quite unshakeable. I am being very, very good in the face of much temptation and I did worry that the flu would put me in the mood for some comfort food. What is it they say? Nothing tastes as good as looking great feels. The people who say this have definitely not been to some of the restaurants that I have eaten in and are obviously oblivious to the joy of French macaroons. Oh to have lived a sheltered life such as this!

To test my resolve to the limits, I have resigned myself to making a chocolate fudge cake to mark one of my colleague’s departures. I shall soldier on through the making of said cake.
No exercise these last two days, apart from violent sneezing, coughing and rather energetic thrashing around in bed. Does that count?

No, thought not.

Kikicee

P.s food to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment