Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Day Fourteen: Infographics

Dear David,

Good day again today. Shake for breakfast, almonds mid-morning, calamari (same as yesterday) for lunch, almonds late afternoon and shake for dinner. Supplements - thermobubbles in the am plus flush and cleanse pills, vitamin superjuice (lemon), Ugo's choice probiotic, Hoodia. 45 minutes of cardio on Mabel, the cross-trainer. Hurrah!

Signed up for the ballot for the Great North Run. When my sister suggested it last year, the consensus from me and other sister was 'GNR - GTF!'. However, I need something to work towards. I was speaking to a colleague today who was telling me how to get into running training and gave me some great information on using a heart rate monitor to work in HR zones. Going to get launched into it when my fitness is up a little. More here

Another colleague gave me another link to Take to The Streets that helps you design a running program to build yourself up to a half marathon, or the distance of your choice.  It seems that for every 'enabler', there is a person that will have helpful and rousing advice!

I was kicking about on a Google Walk today (when you google something and end up about 300 sites away from where you started) and started looking at and for Infographics. Infographics fill me with great, great joy. I could rave about them for hours - art meets science in a big way. There is loving something a normal amount - I love these more than a normal amount! Infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge. Best I have found yet is a Force-Directed layout on  the Protovis project. This network represents character co-occurrence in the chapters of Victor Hugo's classic novel, Les Misérables. Node colors depict cluster memberships computed by a community-detection algorithm. This project is led by Mike Bostock and Jeff Heer of the Stanford Visualization Group, with significant help from Vadim Ogievetsky.

Found a lovely infographic for vegetables in season on Eat Seasonably. It's an interactive calendar that shows you what fruit and veg is in season in what month. Eat Seasonably celebrates eating the right things at the right time: a crisp salad when it’s hot and sunny, a wholesome stew when it’s cold; strawberries in June, Brussels sprouts in December.Going to try and Eat Seasonably, as well as sensibly this year.

Off to bed.

Kikicee

No comments:

Post a Comment